Thursday, March 28, 2013

The three P's Picmonkey, pinterest and Proper Credit

I made these shop ad's with an online editor program,

 

Source: etsy.com via a on Pinterest

I'm really excited to help others do shop banners as well. My new header was also using the same program. Please check out custom work to contact me if you are interested in me doing work for you!

PINTEREST

Pinterest is a great way to promote your business and get the word out to many different people, seeing as so many people use it. Its also a good place to share the Gospel. The only issue i have with
Pinterest is that you cannot control what images you might be exposed to, of course if you walk outside you probably can't do that either.

Anyway...

PROPER CREDIT

I read of two stories this week where big name designers used small potatoes artists  work to promote their own products. OOOH! (in my Dee from what's happening voice) That's not really cool. But when does INSPIRATION become Rachetness and just plain foul. I would be lying if certain sites don't inspire me, but when does it cross the line.  I think the safest this in to encourage your own inspiration and what comes out of you. The way your hair grows out your head..I think using inspiration as your guide is fine. But as in some BIG stores which will remain nameless, I see designs which are perhaps "tribal' in nature and almost never does the artist get credit. I know many stores carry 'african' designs without ever giving credit for the inspiration. You will never see me use kente in my work for the most part and african designs many times are swiped and none of these artist beautiful work is giving credit.

YOUR UNIQUE FINGERPRINT
(with watermark)



I hope to encourage you to try to support handmade and fair trade outlets where the community directly benefits from your dollars.

Holla-

5 comments:

  1. Thought provoking - can anything be done about this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, not really if you make your items publically available, you can watermark your items, or putting people on BLAST (emailing, posting negative press about it :)) I mean most times i would think people are cooporative, but if that person is a LARGE business it could be easier for them to poo you. But i think most companies dont appreciate bad press, so you should be good. It pays to get an attorney or contact volunteer lawyers for the arts. make sure you document your work and i read on oh my handmade to copywright your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this! I was contacted by a major publisher who actually asked permission to use one of our photos and I politely said, "For how much?" They were obviously hoping that my "small potatoes" business would be so honored to be asked that I would give it away for free. Not so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sacra vim, i think you have to be led. sometimes people are out to get something for nothing, but other times if you offer services perhaps it would be publicity instead of money, but i say know what goal is, if you want to foster a good working relationship offering pictures may be gracious. I doubt everyone is predatory however, you have to use discretion. No one likes big companies that ignore 'small potatoes' ( i ask companies for photos sometimes) and the response is either no or NO who do you think YOU are? :) I mean if big companies want us to promote their brands i think some accessiblity is require.

    Most companies are very happy for you to promote them so its fine. But if a company is trying to get over, they should pay you for your services..They know how hard it is they werent always a BIG company. Thanks for stopping by! Good blessings with your opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. be sure to go to 'oh my handmade goodness'they have been posting on copywright issues and offer many resources to help you navigate your business needs. i learned alot from the site

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin