Saturday, October 8, 2011

Search for the Authentic

Musings on how to find where you fit.I was researching small companies and found a lot of people trying to find out who they were and i found that there wasn't a unique America athestic. Alot of people were angry that 'their' creations or styles unique to them were being copied. My question was what 'belongs' to you. Is it copying when you see someone's work that strikes you and then you incorporate those styles into your work. We know this is wrong, the question is what is your aesthetic? I was on Pinterest and noticed other looking at designs to do themselves.  We all have things to learn from one another, but when does this go to far? I particular for African Americans who I have seen working designs of Africa and sometimes offend those who live on the continent. My question is in searching for you unique voice are you stealing from Africa? Do these patterns 'belong' to you. Can we rise above this and seek our own voice? thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think several people can have the same or similar ideas. I have a Dachshund and Dachshund like to bury themselves in cover when they sleep, so I created a the Cozy Sak. It's basically a cloth bag. My dogs love it! I didn't realize others had created similar item until I started selling them on Etsy.

    I also make Dachshund softies that I call Wienies. Each are decorated for holidays, seasons, etc. I got the idea from a line of plaster Dachshunds. I don't decorate mine the same way and they are made out of different materials. Do I feel like I copied them, "no", I was inspired by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, i suppose there's nothing new you just have to find your niche. I found a designer who used ankara fabrics many were upset by this, but then i found out the designs were not unique so nothing really 'belongs' to anyone like you said. u just have to find your own voice. thanks for commenting, good blessing with the Cozy Sak.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin